Weekends are a great time to go wine tasting, and Madrona Wine Merchants is just a quick jaunt out of Madison Park and Madison Valley, offering free tastings every weekend! On Saturdays, the tastings are from 2 p.m. until the 4 – 5 selections of wine is gone, and on Sundays, it’s a mini-tasting from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.
This Saturday, Madrona Wine Merchants is doing a themed tasting on South African wines from 2 – 4 p.m. “We are heading to the other end of the globe and taking a tasting tour of South Africa. Come see the variety of Franschhoek, Paarl, and Walker Bay. Come take a Saturday Safari with us.”
- 2015 Southern Right, Walker Bay, Sauvignon Blanc ($17): Juicy and well-built, with a solid core of lemon zest and pith notes stretching out through the finish, picking up gooseberry, jicama and verbena accents.
- 2015 Tormentoso, Paarl, Old Vine Cinsault ($13): It shows faint spice, cinnamon and red cherries on the nose, followed through by strawberries and cream on the palate. Its silky berry-fruit flavors are backed by earthy, cigar-box-aromas and soft oak tannins.
- 2014 Tormentoso, Paarl, Pinotage ($13): It’s a full-bodied Pinotage with hints of floral aromas and black cherries, followed by soft, rich tannins, along with plum and berry flavors.
- 2013 Chamonix, Franschhoek Rouge ($20): The Chamounix Rouge shows a generous bouquet suggests black-currant, cedar with scents reminiscent of red berries, spices and vanilla. The wine is amply structured: full, round and smooth on the palate with rich fruit and length of flavor. It’s 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Merlot, 20% Petit Verdot, and 11% Malbec.
- 2014 Boekenhoutskloof, Franschhoek The Chocolate Block ($33): This is an exotic and vibrant vintage with an iron edge running alongside the inky core of prunes, mulberries, cloves and boasting floral notes. Bitter dark chocolate on the palate with cold soaked game, black fruit, hints of smoky minerality and oak spice. The wine is 72% Syrah, 10% Grenache Noir, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cinsault, and 1% Viognier.
And on Sunday, Madrona Wine Merchants will feature a couple of wines from Château Teulon Costièrs de Nîmes:
- 2015 Château Teulon Costièrs de Nîmes ($10): Floral, citrus, mineral, wet rock, with lemon peel and lime with a wisp of fresh citrus.
- 2015 Château Teulon Costièrs de Nîmes Rouge ($10): Gorgeous purity along with abundant notes of cranberries, black cherries, black currants, crushed rocks and spring flowers. Medium to full-bodied, beautifully pure and textured. It’s 60% Syrah, 30% Grenache, and 10% Mourvedre.
Madrona Wine Merchants is located at 1127 34th Avenue (at Union).
Featured photo source: Pixabay.com